Jeff Jarvis is one of the smartest people I’ve met and gets it when it comes to publishing is and where PR is headed — and where the market opportunity lay for those of us with messages to promote.
He is currently at the Online Publisher’s Association in London and has a very insightful post based on a talk given by Jeff Rayport.
Reader’s Digest Version: He says the challenge for online publishers is to “build volume through aggregation and margin through engagement.”
* “Community is the new engine of content creation,” his PowerPoint says. I’d day that content is the gas of the community engine.
* “Social networks are the new distribution channels.”
* “Social intelligence is the new source of editorial filters.”
* Tools and applications are the new editorial bundles.”
* “Multiplatform is the new basis of online ‘publishing.’ ”
* “Video is the new lingua franca of online content”