We try to make journalist / analyst appointments to meet with our clients. When doing so remember the following: make your pitch short and consise. In your email pitch, include the following:
1. Why are you contacting them – set up a short and informative meeting at the ____show
2. Who the company is and what they do – we make or do "such and such." Don’t use techno-gobbly gook. Use plain, simple English with benefit releated terms.
3. What you will be announcing – if you can’t disclose, then say something like, "we have an important product announcement that will _________"
4. Tell them when you are available – say something like: "we are available during show hours 10 -5 PM, on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and ask for no more than 15 – 20 minutes of your time."
5. Tell them who they will meet with – try to get as high a senior ranking official as possible.
6. Offer them the news in advance if you can – whether or not they can meet, if they are the right journalist / analysts, they will want your news in advance, or when you announce it. Even if they say no, it’s a great way to ask permission to send the news so you get on their radar for the show.
7. Thank them for reading the email and considering the request – just a nice touch
Tomorrow’s entry will show a sample of how this is done.