Crafting a message that is compelling is much more an art than a mechanical process. This was the message I recently took to current and potential clients in Tel Aviv, Israel, during my seminar held in June, hosted by PR Newswire Israel. The seminar was geared towards CEOs and VPs of Marketing at leading Israeli high-tech and bioscience companies and covered topics including how to create a message that resonates with a company’s many audiences, such as the media, customers, bloggers, and industry analysts.
So now you have your message. What’s next? Try to start generating media coverage about your company. Don’t just depend on sending out press releases. Coverage could be your vision about where a particular market segment is headed. An innovative product just launched. The company’s next generation technology. A major design win. Your being funded. Maybe a very compelling application story.
Here’s five creative ways of generating media coverage for your company. If you would like to learn more, send me an email and I will elaborate on your particular question.
1. Read the publication – unless you know and understand the publication, you can’t properly pitch it.
2. Respond to an article – this demonstrates that you read and are engaged with their editorial direction.
3. Offer to contribute an article – make it exclusive and authoritative.
4. Look for editorial calendar opportunities – that is for calendar year 2006.
5. Broadcast your message. Narrowcast your relationships.
There is nothing that bolsters your company’s and products’ long-term success more than having a positive marketing story based on verifiable facts and told truthfully. To rephrase an old saying: “make it short; make it simple; but NEVER make it up.”